Blog Post

Announcements
1 MIN READ

Update about APIs

BikeAngelsTeam
Community Manager
2 years ago

Since launching the community, we’ve received a handful of questions about Bike Angels APIs, and we wanted to update Angels here that we don’t have a specific API for Bike Angels, but some related information can be found in the GBFS feeds linked below. 

Published 2 years ago
Version 1.0

6 Comments

BananaBlack
      Resourceful Rider

An API, or Application Programming Interface, is essentially a set of rules and tools that allows different software applications to communicate with each other. Think of it like a translator that helps different programs understand and work with each other’s data.

In the context of the Bike Angels program, before Lyft took over, the API allowed developers to create apps that could access real-time data from the Bike Angels system. This data could be used to optimize routes for gathering Bike Angel points, making it easier for users to find the best routes and stations to earn rewards.

However, since Lyft took over, the API hasn’t been updated. This means that the apps relying on that API to provide optimized routes and other features no longer work as well as they used to, if at all. Without updates or continued access to the API, it’s harder for users to get the same level of service or optimization that was available before.

th
    Resourceful Rider

I don't think these two API provides the BA points information. There was this API layer.bicyclesharing.net/map/v1/nyc/stations

that shows the points, but it hasn't been updated since August 25, 2023.

Is there another feed that shows the current points? 

Just trying to do some data analysis and having access to this point info would be very useful.  Thank you!

Jess
      Bike Angels Team

Thanks for your interest in an API for Bike Angels! I haven't heard any updates that we launched a new BA-specific API, but I'll be sure to update the community here if I learn anything about this in the future. 

RelicHunter
    Resourceful Rider

Just wanted to express my interest also for a bike angel API. 

i'm interested in station point values for stations throughout the day. 

RedDragon
    Resourceful Rider

+1 for interest in having an API for bike angel points publicly available!