Forum Discussion

JB991
Resourceful Rider
8 days ago

Capital Bikeshare (CaBi) Bike Angels Leaderboard

It seems like the NYC community has been going strong for a number of years, but not so much for Washington, DC riders participating in Bike Angels.

We haven't been getting any updates or information about what is happening, so I'm glad we are now being invited to this community forum.

In 2021 I started keeping track of Bike Angel Monthly Winners and the point totals, and have been maintaining these stats for DC. Very unscientific! I got into doing Bike Angels for a few reasons, the competition (hence keeping track), it's a good way to get exercise, and it's an excellent way to explore DC.

For CaBi Bike Angels, here is your historical leaderboard and list of winners if you haven't come across it previously. 

https://adcjourney.com/bike-angels/

cheers

JB991

P.S. Riders have gotten a little wild in terms of point totals in the last 5 months, maybe a direct correlation to the fact that CaBi added the option to redeem points for gift cards. We don't get money like NYC, how do we change that??? 

Wim
    Resourceful Rider

I save leaderboard results to a local database every 5 mins for some years now (all cities). Here's what it looks like for DC so far in Oct 2024.

One angel called SN120 seems to totally dominate everyone else, with a daily grind.

JB991
      Resourceful Rider

Thanks for these stats! How to do you save the details every 5 minutes?

SN120 has done well recently, but RR960 has totally dominated the last four months, racking up the four best monthly point totals ever in DC. That's a daily grind most of us don't have time for!

Wim
        Resourceful Rider

No problem. I just have some Python code that makes some API calls and saves the leaderboard data in a cronjob. I've been meaning to put the results up on a website but haven't found the time.

Wow, you're right, I took a look at Sept and RR960 was more than double SN120 - https://imgur.com/a/YimZBK8 - and it's a similar story for Jul, Aug...

The competition is much closer in NYC

BB442
    Resourceful Rider

HiJB991  and thanks for the interesting stats!  I always wonder how the riders on the top of the leaderboard get so many points !  I guess they ride for hours a day ?!  

For me the gift cards are the same as money - I always choose direct deposit to my bank account.

For 

JB991
      Resourceful Rider

Ah, good point about the direct deposit. I didn't try that, so will have to.

Yeah, they definitely spend a lot of time doing this! But some of these point totals are insane! 😂

• Hi JB991 !

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts. We’re sorry to hear you feel there are discrepancies between the CaBi Bike Angels program and NYC’s. We’ll pass along your feedback for consideration, and please know that your concerns will be heard. Please feel free to reach out again if you have any questions or concerns.