Forum Discussion

KingNerd1
Resourceful Rider
25 days ago

Algo limitations downtown

I'm new to point farming but enjoy the gamified aspect.

I've noticed that the algo does well in Midtown and UES at showing opportunities for local rebalancing, presumably because local supply/demand varies.  Bike Angels on streaks can help here.

But downtown, the supply/demand imbalance often seems regional, with literally ALL docks showing the same imbalance. (For example,  early mornings) When this happens,  Bike Angels have no incentive to work, and bikes will only be repositioned by long-haul riders, who almost by definition are not point farmers.

Does Citibike understand why this regional asymmetry exist?  Can it be solved, perhaps by off-hour en masse moves to create local imbalances?

Jess
    Bike Angels Team

Hi there, KingNerd1, thanks for posting in the community! Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Bike Angels game. I appreciate the feedback you’ve provided here, and I shared it internally for good measure.

You’re correct that, generally, there will be regions or areas on the map that offer similar points. As you've seen, the points on a station mean either 'we'd like bikes picked up' or 'we'd like bikes dropped off'. What you're noticing is that some areas get too many (or too few!) bikes at certain times, which means that all the stations need bikes picked up (or dropped off).

The system is expansive and the need to redistribute bikes across the city is significant, especially in relation to commuting. The challenge of rebalancing the system is a complex one that can be hard to predict. That said, we’re always looking for ways to optimize the system and the Bike Angels program, and community feedback can be super useful in identifying and validating more complex issues. I hope you’ll return to the community in the future to share your experiences as you continue your Bike Angels journey!