Forum Discussion

jm
Hustlin' Helper
2 years ago

Lost Booster After Using Cable Lock

Please, help me understand.   Why did I lose my boost?   I did not dock at a station, so... why, how, can it be, that my boost was removed when I did not dock the bike at a station?   If you do...
    Remco
    2 years ago

Locking an electric bike outside a station (while permitted) will end a boost, because from a system health point of view having a bike docked outside of a station is always less desirable than having it in a station, and because of that reason we have always considered parking outside of a station a non-point earning/streak breaking action.

GPS is never perfect, so bikes that are outside of a station are harder to find than bikes that are inside a station, both for riders and our own staff. Additionally, when bikes are parked outside of a station, we lose operational efficiencies where we can inspect and perform battery swaps on multiple bikes at the same time because they're parked at the same location and easy to find.

2 years ago

So the difference between those two rides is that the ride that didn't break the streak was also started outside of a station, while the ride that broke the streak was started at a station.

That means that from a system health perspective the first ride was neutral, since both in the before and after state there was a bike parked outside a station, while the second ride resulted in a net loss of bikes parked in a station.

Note that you can get points by doing the reverse action (pick up a cable locked bike and parking it in a drop off station) since that is a move that increases the health of the system.