Forum Discussion

RickyDee
Steady Solver
12 months ago

Unequal pay for some of us!

So the emails from Tremendous went out and confirmed something very disturbing. Those of us who have not yet been given the new redemption procedure (“old app”) are being paid less than those who have (“new app.”)

The app rollout started over two months ago and still has not been pushed out to all users, which makes no sense. It could easily have already been rolled out to everyone. And now, those of us who haven’t yet gotten the “new app” are being penalized for Citibike’s system/admin issues.

Those with the “new app” recently got a ‘raise’ in that they will now get $200 per 1000 points. Those of us on the “old app” are still only getting $170 per 1000 points. So Citibike is randomly paying some Angels significantly more than other Angels.

When I asked about it, I was told that yes, some Angels will get “slightly more” than others. In what universe is nearly 18% “slightly more?”

There’s nothing we can do to get the “new app,” just wait, we’re told. That waiting is costing us money. Also, many of the top earning Angels are still on the “old app” which seems too strange to be a coincidence.

So if you had a good month earning points but are still on the “old app,” Citibike considers you a second-class Angel. Those who earned fewer points may well be getting paid more than you. We’re getting less pay for more work!

• Hey Jess, I don't "feel" like I'm "earning significantly less", Im literally and mathematically earning significantly less. I earned $805 less in July than I would have if I was on the new system. This sound fair to you? This is some of the most physically demanding work in the city and Citibike is jipping us Power Angels out of thousands. We are your superusers and biggest bikerunners and youre actually rewarding the cheaters everyone knows about more for their "bike switching" than for your biggest fans doing the actually bike angeling work. It's not a long- term strategy to treat users unequally. 

-BS

• yes and a lot of us didn’t know you changed the system and therefore didn’t know we had to manually exchange points for the membership extension. I would like to be credited for the month I missed due to the unannounced policy change. Can you help me with that?

16 Replies

Ruu_Music
    Resourceful Rider

As another Power Angel myself, I understand certain systematic/technical changes are out of Citi Bike’s control. However, seeing as almost everyone who has the “new” app is reporting positive feedback and higher pay ($200 per 1,000 points versus $170 per 1,000 points on the “old” app), it should be time to reconsider priorities and seriously listen/respond to the current customer feedback. This higher pay was shown to me quite a few months ago, thus disproving the argument that this is a new recent change. The notion of “initial” feedback and uncertainty of “ensuring the change is a positive one” has already been settled. It’s done. We all know that higher pay = satisfied bikes, workers, employees, etc.  I can say with certainty that no one perceives $0.20 per Angel point as receiving less than $0.17. We can all do basic math. I also understand the perspective on the old system and its automatic membership renewal feature. In a previous post about this new system, Jess argued that the new system allows angels to freely choose the perk they wish at their own time. That argument must be taken both ways; we should have the freedom to choose a perk and the freedom to choose the new or old app. Transparency is key. Yes, there will be confusion and questions regarding the new system as there always is in any transition in life. At the end of the day, membership extensions and Lyft credits are not only just a tiny percentage of this puzzle, but they’re also practically identical in the new system, albeit just not automatic. The cash rewards earned by those in the top 20 (and beyond) is the main pressing issue at hand. What is astounding is that no one is asking for higher pay that doesn’t already exist in the system. But, where does it exist, who gets it, and how do we get it? Citi Bike knows but won’t reveal. This salary, wage, and earnings gap between the old and new system is simply unacceptable, and is mathematically similar to society’s gender wage gap. At least in that scenario, women are fully aware they are paid less than men. As an avid bike lover, I want to maintain that passion for biking as well as striving for pay equity among us all. Thank you. 

Jess
      Bike Angels Team

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this here, Ruu_Music. I understand there are Power Angels without the new structure that are looking forward to the ability to redeem cash rewards at a higher amount. I have shared this thread with the Bike Angels Team and will continue to forward Angel feedback about the new experience and the rollout of this update.

To clarify, the change was pushed to a smaller set of Angels the first week of May and has slowly been expanded since. There isn’t a way to opt in to the new experience. That said, the Bike Angels Team is eager to deliver an improved experience to all Angels, and the delay has been in an effort to ensure Power Angels and Casual Cruisers are equally happy with what is changing.

Initially, the gift card options in the app did not reflect the options shown today. Power Angels with the new experience reported that they perceived the cash rewards were being devalued. The gift cards rewards were adjusted a little over a month ago, which is now leaving Power Angels without the new experience eager to get access to the new experience. I have been sharing this change in sentiment from Power Angels with the Bike Angels Team directly to let them know Power Angels are looking forward to the increase. I hope you’ll return to the community when you have a question or to connect with other Angels in the future.  

DanMan
        Steady Solver

So, it’s been three months?  That is frankly outrageous.  Everyone has pointed out the obvious, that the multiplier can be changed in the old app.  How about fewer excuses and an actual resolution?

JP191
    Resourceful Rider

It doesn’t make any sense . Seems like something that should have a solution.

Leslie52
      Steady Solver

It is not that complicated.  Poorly planned.  I used to manage strategic alliances through a web portal.  The payments likely have nothing to do with the app.  They can simply adjust the algorithm in the payment software to reflect the higher payment structure for those of us who earn more than 200 points each month.  In fact, why even bother with the tiered structure, when the difference is just pennies...at least for those of us on the leaderboard.  Why would we even bother to cash in less than 200 points on the new app?  Maybe the point structure allows them to pay dabblers a bit less, but it is not going to motivate people to earn more points if they are not already earning 200 per month.  Those are the people who just want to extend their membership are not going to work more for a few more cents for every ten points.  It will make a minimal difference to Citi Bikes bottom line, while merely irritating those of us who are actually serving the community.  

Ben
    Resourceful Rider

Couldnt agree more. New app now!!!! 

-BS

Jess
    Bike Angels Team

Hey there, RickyDee, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the rollout here. As discussed previously, I understand some Angels are eager to move to the new system, and our team is eager to deliver an improved experience. That said, I’m sure some of the Angels on the new system would be able to confirm that initially when the structure changed, the cash rewards offered in the points store left a lot of Power Angels feeling like they were earning significantly less. The recent change in options in the rewards stores is in an effort to ensure that both Power Angels and Joy Riders are happy with the changes. It’s also important to note that Angels on the new system that redeem the higher cash rewards, aren’t also automatically receiving the rewards from the preceding tiers. Again, I understand the long rollout period has been painful, but wanted to reiterate the rewards structures aren’t a like-for-like comparison, and our team is working to ensure the change is a positive one for Power Angels and less active Angels alike. 

Ben
      Resourceful Rider

Hey Jess, I don't "feel" like I'm "earning significantly less", Im literally and mathematically earning significantly less. I earned $805 less in July than I would have if I was on the new system. This sound fair to you? This is some of the most physically demanding work in the city and Citibike is jipping us Power Angels out of thousands. We are your superusers and biggest bikerunners and youre actually rewarding the cheaters everyone knows about more for their "bike switching" than for your biggest fans doing the actually bike angeling work. It's not a long- term strategy to treat users unequally. 

-BS

Jess
        Bike Angels Team

I agree that it's not a long term strategy, and I appreciate you sharing your perspective here. I understand Power Angels that are on the original system would be eager to have the new gift card options, and I'm happy to hear this. And, I will continue to echo this internally. This change in gift card amounts on the new system was an effort to ensure Power Angels like yourself don't perceive the new structure as earning less, since initally the gift card amounts offered were lower. 

DanMan
      Steady Solver

I don’t even understand what you’re saying here.  What automatic rewards aren’t the users in the new system receiving?  How could people who were being paid more feel like they were receiving less?  Some clarity might make the wait more tolerable.  Or, as I’m sure you know, it would be very easy to change the multiplier in the current app.

Jess
        Bike Angels Team

The old structure an Angel would have already received a full month's extension on their membership before receiving the option to receive cash rewards.