Forum Discussion

Pat
Resourceful Rider
2 years ago

What does the "bike_angels_digits" API field represent?

When making the request to 

https://layer.bicyclesharing.net/map/v1/nyc/stations, here's what one of the response elements in the features array looks like:

`bike_angels_action` and `bike_angels_points` fields seem pretty straightforward, it's just the _digits one that is stumping me. Anyone have an idea what it might represent?

I've only seen it have values of either 0 or 1. 0 whenever `bike_angels_action`'s value is "neutral", and 1 for whenever the action is either give or take. 

Found the API endpoint from https://github.com/chrnola/citibike-api-docs,  no idea whether its an official one but when cross-referencing the values with my Android app, it appears to be accurate.

• I had a fun quick dig in the code. Long story short: it's not important; it only communicates how many digits long a score is, so a 10 point bike_angels_points score would have bike_angels_digits value of 2. It looks like this is only used for styling map pins.

Also, that is definitely not an official API endpoint; they reverse engineered an older version of the app that is no longer supported, so there is no guarantee that this data will remain correct or available at all.

2 Replies

Remco
    Bike Angels Team

I had a fun quick dig in the code. Long story short: it's not important; it only communicates how many digits long a score is, so a 10 point bike_angels_points score would have bike_angels_digits value of 2. It looks like this is only used for styling map pins.

Also, that is definitely not an official API endpoint; they reverse engineered an older version of the app that is no longer supported, so there is no guarantee that this data will remain correct or available at all.

geva
      Resourceful Rider

Will you be able to expose the bike angels data in an official public API?