Forum Discussion

Sean
Steady Solver
8 months ago

Outside Service Area?

Anyone else getting an alert on the app that a bike or station is out of the service area? Makes no sense, so it must be a mis-programmed alert? I’ve seen it with the new e-bikes over the last few days, in two different parts of Manhattan. The info /help blurb says the bike is out of service area and can be used but return to service area. Does this mean anything, or what could it mean?

• Thanks for following up, Sean. Since Citi Bike doesn't have service areas as part of their program, this must have been a bug. 

In other cities, the bikeshare coverage area has some spaces that are no-riding zones, and this sort of message will appear, generally with a distinct coverage area colored in the map. 

If you see something off like this in the future, don't hesitate to alert us here! 👼

3 Replies

Jess
    Bike Angels Team

Sean Hi, I'm sorry I missed replying to this when we sorted out the Spam Quarantine issue. Are you still having this 'Outside service area' alert pop up when you're trying to find a dock or bike? 

Sean
      Steady Solver

Only over those couple of days. Not seen since. It didn’t seem to affect anything, but was puzzling. 

What does “out of service area” even mean?

Jess
        Bike Angels Team

Thanks for following up, Sean. Since Citi Bike doesn't have service areas as part of their program, this must have been a bug. 

In other cities, the bikeshare coverage area has some spaces that are no-riding zones, and this sort of message will appear, generally with a distinct coverage area colored in the map. 

If you see something off like this in the future, don't hesitate to alert us here! 👼