Forum Discussion

CarolTandava
Steady Solver
2 years ago

Tire Pressure Problems--Can We Help???

Hi Jess ,

Tire pressure is becoming a huge problem, particularly on classic bikes. Nearly every bike I've ridden in the past several months has had low to flat back tires. So I've been thinking this is another area where Bike Angels can come to the rescue.

In short: Send us power inflators with the proper cartridges and we will inflate tires for you--in exchange for points, of course! ðŸ˜‰

Here's my idea:

1. Create a "tire pressure" option in the feedback portion of the app. This will help you identify bikes most in need.
  2. Add a "service" icon and and "inflate" layer to the Bike Angels UI so we can identify and service bikes. This layer will reflect points rewarded for particular bikes (say 5 points per tire, since this is hands-dirty work).
  3. Create a pilot group of Angels and send us power inflators. Ideally, these should be smart inflators that connect to the app. 
  4. We scan/enter the bike ID to confirm we are servicing the correct bike
  5. Receive specific instructions on which tires need inflation.
  6. Gauge and inflate either or both tires using the inflator.
  7. Receive points!

Alternately, we can select bikes that may need to be serviced that are not yet flagged in the app:

1. Click the "service" icon and scan/enter the bike ID.
  2. Use the inflator to gauge the tire pressure of the bike in question.
  3. Receive instructions on inflation and points to be rewarded via the app.
  4. Inflate tire(s).
  5. Receive points!

We are actively discussing this matter in the FB Bike Angel Community facebook.com/groups/bikeangelcommunity/ and welcome discussion in either location. 

Hope this helps!

• Hello, CarolTandava, thank you for your thoughtful post and for connecting with me about the tire pressure issue you’ve noticed lately. I can understand this would make earning Angel points more difficult and less fun, and I’m sorry to hear this is going on. 

I appreciate you sharing your inventive idea and the amount of detail you included! I really think this speaks to the level of community that Bike Angels are working to foster here and on the ground. Like Bike Angels, I love solving problems and helping other people, and this sort of feedback is a great example of the power of the community. 

I’m noting this feedback internally to share with our Ops Teams and the Bike Angels Team that there is both: an ongoing tire pressure issue and that Bike Angels are interested in helping maintain the system in other ways than moving bikes. 

Thank you also for crossposting to the FB community! As the program and communities grow, these resources will be invaluable for Angels. I hope you’ll continue to support Bike Angels online, as you’ve been such a stellar member of the program! ðŸŒŸðŸš²ðŸ‘¼

5 Replies

Jess
    Bike Angels Team

Hello, CarolTandava, thank you for your thoughtful post and for connecting with me about the tire pressure issue you’ve noticed lately. I can understand this would make earning Angel points more difficult and less fun, and I’m sorry to hear this is going on. 

I appreciate you sharing your inventive idea and the amount of detail you included! I really think this speaks to the level of community that Bike Angels are working to foster here and on the ground. Like Bike Angels, I love solving problems and helping other people, and this sort of feedback is a great example of the power of the community. 

I’m noting this feedback internally to share with our Ops Teams and the Bike Angels Team that there is both: an ongoing tire pressure issue and that Bike Angels are interested in helping maintain the system in other ways than moving bikes. 

Thank you also for crossposting to the FB community! As the program and communities grow, these resources will be invaluable for Angels. I hope you’ll continue to support Bike Angels online, as you’ve been such a stellar member of the program! ðŸŒŸðŸš²ðŸ‘¼

• Hi Carol! Thank you kindly for reaching out and sharing this feedback. We will be sure to pass this along to the appropriate team. We appreciate you reaching out and giving such valuable feedback. What an amazing Bike Angel Community we have! Thank you kindly! 

rock48
    Resourceful Rider

Thanks, Carol!  And if I may add a suggestion of my own.  Stations with A and B parking spots sometimes need rearranging.  How about a reward for this: moving bikes in B position to As.  When I take the time to do it, there are a series of 1 minute trips within a very short time at the same station.  It's maddening to arrive at a station that has parking to find every open spot, all As, is blocked by bikes in Bs.  

CarolTandava
      Steady Solver

rock48 That is a fantastic idea!! Please share this on the FB Community too. facebook.com/groups/bikeangelcommunity