Forum Discussion

Sean
Steady Solver
2 years ago

Valet stations - breaking streaks?

My question here is a continuation of the one I asked in the Ask Anything thread, which did not seem to answer my specific question. But here I have a photo which highlights what I’m actually wondering.

Does picking up from a valet station (that is the specific scenario that most impacts my personal choices) break a streak? Same for  dropping off at a valet station but I myself almost never do that anyway.

The previous responses, as I understood them,  talked about whether or not a valet station is a pick up station or drop off station, but I can’t remember ever seeing such stations. On the app, what I see is just the valet icon w/o reference to pick ups or drop offs.  Does that mean it is a neutral station?

Like so (a photo from the beginning of this month): 

Usually when I want to pick up from this particular station, I am not specifically engaged in angeling. I’m usually having a meeting or appointment in this neighborhood and want to just take a bike as a normal person, but I don’t want to bust my streak as a result.  Being in normal person mode at such moments, I also am not particularly eager to go off walking to another station that is clearly neutral or designated as a pick up station. I do walk somewhere else, but it would be nice to know whether or not I actually need to do so to preserve my streak.

A clearer answer would be helpful for bike angeling as well, but typically I can just avoid such stations while angeling. My main snag, personally, is when I’m being a normal bike riding member of the public.

Thank you,

Sean

• And as far as your question about your screenshot, that station would be neutral, because it does not indicate that it requires pick ups or drop offs. So, you would not lose your streak. 

I don't know if you have come across one of the threads where they discuss streak freezes, but someone requested they start offering streak freezes for instances as you described where you're not angeling and just need a bike.  So, we'll just have to wait and see if that ever develops into anything. 

3 Replies

tgrim12
    Steady Solver

And as far as your question about your screenshot, that station would be neutral, because it does not indicate that it requires pick ups or drop offs. So, you would not lose your streak. 

I don't know if you have come across one of the threads where they discuss streak freezes, but someone requested they start offering streak freezes for instances as you described where you're not angeling and just need a bike.  So, we'll just have to wait and see if that ever develops into anything. 

RickyDee
    Steady Solver

I regularly see valet stations as pick up or drop off, l guess it depends on the time of day, etc. As an example l just saw the below:

3 valet stations in lower Manhattan showing pickup points.

robertripps
    Casual Commenter

I have found valet stations will usually show incorrect totals of bikes or empty docks, but if it shows as a drop or pickup, I have never lost my streak using one as I would a non-valet station (so not picking up from a drop, or dropping at a pickup). Weirdly, sometimes if they leave a dock on valet in the middle of the day and it is empty of usable bikes, then the station will totally disappear from the app, until someone docks a bike.