Forum Discussion

slowpoke
Resourceful Rider
2 years ago

E-bike credits - applied after taxes :-/

When I get my receipt for e-bike rides, I notice that the credits to offset the ride are applied after tax is added. But this seems like a waste of e-bike credit and maybe not how discounts usually work. If the credit was applied before tax, then the total would be zero and the tax would be zero and the ride would still be free, but I would get to keep more e-bike credit. Is this by design? Can this be changed? Thanks!

• I’m sure this is a statutory requirement where they have to collect sales tax on all sales.  In New Jersey there is an exception when you get a discount there’s no sales tax collected. I’m not quite sure what the rule is in New York but I guess because this is giving us like a gift certificate. They collect sales tax.

1 Reply

Lunchbikeangel
    Resourceful Rider

I’m sure this is a statutory requirement where they have to collect sales tax on all sales.  In New Jersey there is an exception when you get a discount there’s no sales tax collected. I’m not quite sure what the rule is in New York but I guess because this is giving us like a gift certificate. They collect sales tax.