Forum Discussion

kwalk21
Casual Commenter
2 years ago

Membership Extension Cut Short

I have been using the Bike Angels reward program to extend my membership since Feb. My membership started on the 6th and ends on the 6th of the following month and I've consistently gotten over 200 points a month to continue to extend the membership. Suddenly, today, I noted that the Citi Bike app is asking me to pay to start a new membership. Not sure if they ended my membership early for some reason or if it's just a glitch in the app. Has anyone else had this issue before?

I tried contacting customer support but she just explained to me the basics of the program - something I already knew from the website. I tried rewording the issue but she asked for a copy of the email showing my extension to Dec 6th. Because I hit 80 points over 30 days ago it was no longer in my trash box for my Gmail so I provided her "proof" that I had well over 80 points for Nov by sending an email showing that I had hit 200 points. She then proceeded to explain to me the Golden Gear award and how it reset monthly. She left it with saying she would contact someone and investigate it and get back to me.

6 Replies

kwalk21
    Casual Commenter

Update on my situation, I placed 3 chat requests for help and each time was told that I would receive an email "by the end of the day". That never happened. I emailed separately numerous times without any response. Finally did the chat option again and explained the issue as well as my issue with getting a response. Later got an email from Gustavo (same name from the chat) who confirmed that my membership ended on Dec 3rd. I tried to explain that if my membership started on Feb 6th and I have been extending "a full calendar month" every month since that time then its not possible for my membership to end on the 3rd of the month. He told me that "every month has a different number of days". I again explained my reasoning that 1) all my prior extensions were to the 6th of the following month and 2) that, by definition, that was not a "full calendar month". Ask to explain the reasoning and why every other month this year was treated differently. No response.

Finally called in today. Tried to speak to a representative named Daniel and explain the situation. As I was starting to explain the issue the call mysteriously dropped. Called back and got a representative named Eric. Explained the situation and he put me on hold to investigate. He recommended that I renew my membership today on my credit card to get my bike angels points back. I tried to clarify the situation again and, again, the call "dropped" mid sentence. At this point I suspect that I am being hung up on so call again and ask the representative, Sarah, to speak to a supervisor. I told her that I know its not her fault but I've been, seemingly, hung up on twice already. I get transferred to Chris who confirmed that my membership started Feb 6th and was supposed to be for 2 months (through the healthcare worker membership) and that he last saw it extended to July 6th. He noted that this was more than 60 days. I agreed but stated that there was nothing in the terms and conditions that prevent someone on the healthcare worker membership from extending through the bike angels rewards programs. 

He told me that it would have to be escalated to "management" and that I should hear something back in the next 48 hours. We will see. 

I will preface this by saying that I am not a hothead on the phone. I used to work in retail and know how customers can be and know that my issue isn't with the person I am speaking to directly. I've not yelled or said anything that would warrant this level of poor customer service. Particularly when you consider that my only request is to reinstate my membership for the 3 days I lost so that I can continue to redistribute bikes for you guys. Lol.

Swope
      Resourceful Rider

You sound remarkably patient! Would love to hear any additional followup you have, as I've also been extending month to month and was wondering if something like this would happen.

kwalk21
        Casual Commenter

Yes, it's been incredibly frustrating haha. I am moving in July and have this unnecessary goal to get 5000 points before I do. I am like "just reinstate me for the 3 days that I am owed so I can keep redistributing your dumb bikes for you". 

Jess
      Bike Angels Team

kwalk21 Thank you for sharing the details of your issue and support experiences here. This issue and the conversations you've had with our Support Teams must be incredibly frustrating, and I want to apologize on behalf of the entire team that we weren't able to quickly and easily provide support with this issue. 

I connected with our Support Team when I saw this post, as it sounds to me there is a systems issue at play. I am sorry to see they have yet to provide you with an update. I've just sent a DM your way to connect further. 

Rivertown
    Resourceful Rider

your question is interesting possibly the same as mine. My membership suddenly end, but I have been getting monthly the 80 points to renew.  only solution was a link to pay for a new membership - very frustrating. 

This is Odeth from Divvy bikes support. 
    I'm sorry for the delay in our response, currently ,we 've received a high volume of calls, so our responses are getting longer. 
    After checking in your account, I can confirm you received your extension reward until the beginning of February 2023, however, the system reached the maximum of membership extension, so at this moment the extensions were completed. 
    Remember you can activate a new membership by following this link

I guess that is the last bike I move around for any points. 

Jess
      Bike Angels Team

Hey there, I'm sorry to hear this happened, and that the support team wasn't able to easily explain what happened with your membership extensions. I understand this must make a frustrating situation worse, and I want to help. 

Angels receive an email when they earn extensions to confirm their new expiration date. If the date your membership expired differed from that date or the date shown in your app when you earned the reward, I would encourage you to reconnect with our support team, so we can investigate further. We certainly want to make sure you were able to use all the extensions you earned! ðŸ‘¼