Forum Discussion

MikeM
Resourceful Rider
7 months ago

Bike Angels Membership Extension issue

I use the Bike Angels regard program and it's helpful when you get a membership extension of one week for every 20 points you redeem, and understandably you can only extend four weeks each month.  That is until about one week ago,  I redeemed 20 points to extend the membership from 1/9/24 to 1/16/24.   On 1/9/24, CitiBike app showed that my membership expired and payment failed.  So on 1/9 I called to discuss this w customer service and said they would look into it and email me.  By 1/11, I did not hear back so I called to follow up with Cust service,   They said they would look into it and the guy found it odd that I had not been updated sooner.  So then I get an email mentioned:

Due to a system issue, your Bike Angel Membership may not be reflecting the correct extension date. We have fixed this issue and your app should reflect the correct date within the next 3-4 days as everything refreshes.

Please let our team know if you need assistance or have questions. We're standing by, ready to help.

Thanks for riding with us.
So it's now 1/13 and the correct membership extension until 1/16/24 still is not showing.  In the meantime due to this "glitch" I cannot ride a bike!,v unless I renew my membership now, I will not since it should expire on 1/16.  I feel I've been robbed several days of my membership benefits.   Will Citibike add the additional days to my membership that I could not due to having to wait for them to refresh their systems?   
  • Hi, MikeM, I'm late to follow up, but I see that this was resolved with our email support team. I apologize I didn't follow up with this thread sooner. Thank you for visiting the community to flag that this bug wasn't fully resolved. I hope you'll return to the community in the future to connect with other Angels. 

5 Replies

• There may be a bug in the system.  That being said, if you have been a member for several years, there will at some point be a gap, where you have to repay the membership fee.  You can only extend for 4 weeks each month.  4 X 12 only amounts to 48 weeks...so at some point you fall behind...because there are 52 weeks in a year.  At that point you will have to pay a month of membership (or possibly a year now that they eliminated the monthly subscription) before starting again.  Not sure they thought that all out or whether that was intentional.  Perhaps they will read this post and consider the options.  I think it was a bad decision for them to eliminate the monthly option, especially since a lot of riders are performers, who have unpredictable travel schedules but do not have a ton of money to pay for daily rides or to shell out the annual fee.  

Jess
      Bike Angels Team

Thanks for your contribution to this thread, Leslie52. I investigated a bit internally and found that when you redeem four extensions in one month, the fourth/last extension is for nine days, instead of seven. This ensures that the 'month' is covered up to 30 days. This hasn't changed since we moved away from the automatic rewards structure, but a good point of feedback on a finer detail. 

This means there are five days in the year that aren't covered by extensions, since seven months have 31 days and one has only 28 (usually). I appreciate you sharing your feedback about extension rewards here, as I understand this reward has some room for improvement in that respect.  

MikeM
    Resourceful Rider

I understand that down the road the membership extensions will eventually lead to paying for an annual membership.  But I had only used two extensions in January, where I am entitled to four weekly extensions per month,  This is where met complaint is,  I used the second of four 1-wk extensions in Jan to extend my membership to 1/16.   But one 1/9, they attempted to charge my card for the annual rental ... one week before my expiration date of 1/16.   In the meantime I cannot ride a bike.   looking at m my post above, there is the email from them indicating the glitch and will be solved in 3-4 days, but as of now  it is still not resolved,    

Jess
      Bike Angels Team

Hi, MikeM, I'm late to follow up, but I see that this was resolved with our email support team. I apologize I didn't follow up with this thread sooner. Thank you for visiting the community to flag that this bug wasn't fully resolved. I hope you'll return to the community in the future to connect with other Angels. 

Jess
    Bike Angels Team

Hi there, MikeM, thank you for posting in the community about this. I'm sorry to hear this bug affected your membership status, and I'm investigating further to see what I can do to resolve things further for you. I'll follow up here with any updates I have. ğŸ‘¼