Forum Discussion

CarolTandava
Steady Solver
2 years ago

What are the bike tool structures at some stations?

Hi Jess 
In our discussions about tire pressure on the Facebook Bike Angels Community, we’ve been wondering what these tools are for? Should they be used for the Citibikes? Are we allowed to repair them? 

Also, do the tires still use a nitrogen compound, or can this pump be used?

• I wanted to follow up about the Fixit bike service stations. I understand you were curious about the tools in the stations and if they were intended to use for repairing Citi Bike bikes. I wanted to clarify that the Fixit stations are public bike service stations that include all the tools necessary to perform basic bike repairs and maintenance on personal bikes, from changing a flat to adjusting brakes and derailleurs. While the Fixit stations aren't for use on bikeshare bikes, we placed these stands on Citi Bike stations to help strengthen NYC’s bike network. This helps positions our stations as hubs for all cyclists, whether bike-share or personal!

While we will continue to welcome your ideas and feedback about how Angels can help keep the system healthy, I wanted to clarify that the current Citi Bike rental agreement prohibits renters from performing repairs on the bikes. I will certainly keep tracking concepts and issues that pop up in the community, and I hope you'll keep brainstorming and sharing your thoughts with the community here. 

4 Replies

Jess
    Bike Angels Team

Hey there, CarolTandava, thank you for raising these questions in the community! I’m not exactly certain about the specific answers. I’ll investigate things a bit further on my end, and follow up here with anything I learn. Appreciate the photo! 

Jess
    Bike Angels Team

I wanted to follow up about the Fixit bike service stations. I understand you were curious about the tools in the stations and if they were intended to use for repairing Citi Bike bikes. I wanted to clarify that the Fixit stations are public bike service stations that include all the tools necessary to perform basic bike repairs and maintenance on personal bikes, from changing a flat to adjusting brakes and derailleurs. While the Fixit stations aren't for use on bikeshare bikes, we placed these stands on Citi Bike stations to help strengthen NYC’s bike network. This helps positions our stations as hubs for all cyclists, whether bike-share or personal!

While we will continue to welcome your ideas and feedback about how Angels can help keep the system healthy, I wanted to clarify that the current Citi Bike rental agreement prohibits renters from performing repairs on the bikes. I will certainly keep tracking concepts and issues that pop up in the community, and I hope you'll keep brainstorming and sharing your thoughts with the community here. 

CarolTandava
      Steady Solver

Thanks. This is useful information. I'll share it with the Facebook Bike Angel Community as well.