Forum Discussion

BananaBlack
Resourceful Rider
2 months ago

Why would I ever move an e-bike?

I've been an active participant in the Bike Angels program for about a year now and have found it incredibly rewarding, especially when moving non-electric bikes. However, I've encountered a challenge with e-bikes: the cost associated with redistributing them. Given this expense, I'm hesitant to spend my time moving e-bikes, which often results in certain stations accumulating these bikes.

Is there a way to redistribute e-bikes without incurring costs, similar to how regular bikes can be moved for free? If not, what incentive is there for Bike Angels to redistribute e-bikes? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this matter.

• If there are no classic bikes at a station and only e-bikes, then there is no cost to move the ebike.  The blue e-bikes need to be moved first, for the white e-bikes, I scan the QR code,  choose the classic mode (minimal e-bike power) and then it's free.  I have never selected the full e-bike mode but I believe that is not free.  

jm
    Hustlin' Helper

Maybe something similar to the original app programming, when you cross thresholds the e-fees are reduced or hopefully eliminated. 

1,000 pts a month, 2k. Enough points to demonstrate to the people in charge we're moving bikes and not joy riding.

RedDragon
    Resourceful Rider

I agree with you. If Lyft wants to fully utilize the Bike Angel program to help rebalance eBikes, especially over longer distances, they should consider removing the fees entirely. Perhaps a good way of implementing a waved fee for Bike Angels is to offer it when you've hit the 3x streak (i.e. after 4 positive rebalancing trips). 

jm
    Hustlin' Helper

Over some days, up to 23% of the total earnings could be spent on eBike fees.

People might find that number to be astounding, and stupid to pay out.

Recently, I've begun to agree.

I wish there were a policy and system in place that could substantially reduce that cost.

I also posted about the issue of eBike charges discouraging Bike Angels (BA) from redistributing eBikes, particularly in Chicago where Divvy eBikes are allowed to park out of docking stations.

I suggested that BAs are incredibly valuable due to the challenges of locating out of station eBikes, especially those hidden in the city’s nooks and crannies. The added difficulty makes BAs essential for maintaining the system's efficiency.

Moreover, I discovered that there is an original mandate by the city requiring "abandoned" bikes to be picked up within 48 hours (if I remember the timeframe correctly). However, anyone riding or walking around Chicago can see that this is not happening as intended.

Stop eBike Fees for Angels

Stop eBike fees for Angels | Bike Angels

Hunting for eBikes can often be hard and frustrating. The GPS tracking isn't precise enough to make it a reliable option for Bike Angels to earn points regularly. And redistributing scooters, as Wim's chart shows, with their higher fees, offers a very narrow window to earn.

Is it worth returning an ebike/scooter to a dock?

Is it worth returning an ebike/scooter to a dock? | Bike Angels

We're learning how nuanced Lyft's bike-sharing system is between different cities. It almost makes you think the people in charge have a well thought out master plan, but experience shows that could be wishful thinking.

After reading this "scary" thread on Reddit shared by Wim:

"They even had a guy guarding the station they were emptying out. Told me 'nah nah nah you can't dock here we making bread.'"

I'm wondering if implementing the "Points for Cash" option would work well in Chicago.

That's sad, because cash is fun.

Bike Angel cheaters

https://www.reddit.com/r/Citibike/comments/1eilu9i/bike_angel_cheaters/?sort=confidence

evpnyc
    Resourceful Rider

If there are no classic bikes at a station and only e-bikes, then there is no cost to move the ebike.  The blue e-bikes need to be moved first, for the white e-bikes, I scan the QR code,  choose the classic mode (minimal e-bike power) and then it's free.  I have never selected the full e-bike mode but I believe that is not free.  

counterspin
      Resourceful Rider

On the past three out of four occasions when there were only e-bikes, the screen came on my app and said "choose your mode" . I had already chosen low power for my default mode in these situations. However, when I tapped the link that said "choose your mode"  nothing happened after multiple taps.  Is this common? Why would it happen? I had to walk to another station on each occasion. 

BananaBlack
      Resourceful Rider

For everyone on this thread, here's the correct answer for NYC—I've personally tested it, and it works. In Citibike NYC, to get an e-bike for free, there have to be no regular bikes available at the station. You have to go through the old e-bikes first and select low-assist mode, which gives you 60 minutes for free. I use a trailer to tow bikes around, and although I can still get e-bikes at no charge, I tend to avoid them because they’re heavier and cause more wear on my trailer. Thanks evpnyc, for your help.

BananaBlack
      Resourceful Rider

Okay, that kind of makes sense except for points usually dramatically drop before I even get through all the regular bikes.

BB442
    Resourceful Rider

All I know is that in the DC area, if someone is on public benefits they can get a “Capital Bikeshare for All” membership that allows free e-bike rides.    So for these people it works out (can still get “gift cards.”) But I think in other cities the reduced-rate memberships still  have to pay for e-bike rides.  I guess  Bike angels can get credit to pay for e-bikes, that’s all?