Forum Discussion

BananaBlack
Resourceful Rider
2 months ago

Is There a Bike Angels Reward for Returning Abandoned Citibike?

Is there a reward through the Bike Angels program for returning abandoned Citibikes that are left outside of stations? If so, what is the process for doing this? I often see bikes left around, but given my tight schedule, it doesn’t seem worth the effort without a clear incentive. A way to scan them to know that they are truly abandoned and receive substantial points for returning them would be ideal.

RedDragon
    Resourceful Rider

Given the money saved by not having a Lyft employee get deployed to pick up a single abandoned bike (which show "Not Available" on the screen) there ought to be a reward to re-dock an abandoned bike. 

I've returned two next-gen ebikes and can confirm that 1) You get no rewards (there's no process to know who returned the bike) 2) The anti-theft measures mean you can't ride an ebike with an empty battery and have to push it while the alarm screams at you the entire time while the gearing is engaged making it even harder to push.

robertripps
    Casual Commenter

I agree.

BTW, as I understand it, even when "dead", newer Ebikes still have enough battery power to transmit their location to Citibike, so someone, somewhere, can track where they have been left, and pick them up, at some point...

Jess
    Bike Angels Team

Hi, all, thank you for contributing your perspective to the conversation here. There has been some community feedback about offering points for moving ebikes back into the service area or to a dock in the past, and I've seen this from Bike Angels in other channels, as well. 

I've marked these posts as feedback so we can track the conversation about moving abandoned ebikes to inform future changes to the game. Thanks to BananaBlack for resurfacing this feedback in the community.